From the first times I got exposed to the music style known as "hardcore", the one with the electronic beats, not the punk variant, I've always found the dismissive attitude that this music was "brainless".
Yet, for me, this music always held more "feeling" and "depth" than many "normal" music, which to me sounded rather boring, and modest, in terms of both production as well as attitude.
I've loved the sounds of the '90s hardcore, and regarding the 2000s, I quickly became bored of the so called "mainstream" sounds, mainly from Dutch producers.
What caught my attention, were mostly records coming from France, Germany. Small labels, whose music was played in small parties, often in bunkers, warehouses, rather than nice clubs or big event halls where people "waved their cigarette illuminators".
Yet, once the Dutch audience caught "Frenchcore", the genre became too party-oriented.
It became to my taste too polished.
And whatever Speedcore there remained, sounded too bland for me.
So in the mid-2000s, I found very little Interesting, with a few exceptions.
The 2010s? I can count the releases that interested me on a severed hand with only a few fingers left.
Yet somehow, in the late 2010s, early 2020s, when vinyl in general lived through a resurrection, and Techno regained its balls and finally left the post 2000s electro and minimal hype, once again embracing Hard analog bassdrums, likewise, some producers started to put out, also on vinyl, hardcore releases that finally caught my attention again.
Here we finally have hardcore again with a certain attitude as well as technique, that clearly finishes the myth of it being "brainless".
Examples?
First, the one that really inspired this post
Sadistic and Ohmega Sir on Out From There.
It reminds me qua atmosphere of the HL and UPerv releases by Atomhead and Neurocore.
Qua rhythm and percussion, it still shows its distinctive UK roots.
Some others which I wanted to mention will come in another post, so that this is the introduction, and I won't get just one long post.
Laters.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten
Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.